Monday 21 September 2015

Eid Decorations 2015

Asalam Alaikum sisters,

Every year I try to make Eid Spectacular. Every year I fail. As I make my way to the masjid prayer a heavy feeling in my heart weighs down what should be light filled, bright and the most happiest moments of the year. 

Every year I expect to have at least the following:

The house decorated according to a theme - top to bottom
A gift table set up
A party table full of table decor matching the wall decorations 
A perfect cupcake stand with equally perfect cupcakes
Party bags set for my own kids and kids who visit
A piñata 
A 4 tiered Eid Cake that compensates for 4 birthdays we do not celebrate to honour the Sunnah

I read too many blogs and see the amazing efforts mums from all over the world make for Eid. 
In my critical mind I was a terrible mother. Everyone could everyone else manage to do so much more than what is on my list. Why couldn't I do it? 

Not meeting my expectations for sixth year in a row I was so upset on Eid Al Fitr. I ruined it for everyone with my sad face. 

Then I realised something - they weren't sad because the house was plain and cupcake less. They were sad because of my face. 

Through the decorations I wanted Eid to be an amazing day for my kids. And all an amazing Eid needed was a good faced mum. That is all. A happy mum with a smile and good spirits. 

From my childhood I remember blurry snippets of the henna designs, gifts and streamers. I don't remember how exactly the house was decorated nor what flavor the cakes were.

What I do remember is my mum's radiant face being the first thing I saw when pulling the curtains wide to welcome the first rays of the Eid morning. I remember her pleasure at seeing at us dressed and ready and her laughter when we went to greet neighbours and friends.

So this Eid Al Adha, I decided just to be happy.

I bought only a few things for Eid and subhanallah the simplicity of things just made eveything so much more beautiful. Anything that reduces stress is a beautiful thing.

I picked up these banners at an AliGator Book Fair:




And all of these items from one shelf at Coles in under 30 seconds (world record for Eid Shopping?). 


And that's it! I put up the banners, the bunting and the balloons.

Done! :)

I made no plans whatsoever. Wherever the kids wanted to go, we went. Whatever they wanted to eat, we bought. Whoever they wished to see, we invited. 

Finished. Best Eid Ever. 

Alhamdulilah!😃

To top things off, I read an excellent article at Ruqayya's Bookshelf which completely did away with my guilt afterward, please read here - http://www.ruqayasbookshelf.com/why-i-didnt-bake-or-decorate-my-house-for-eid-silencing-our-harshest-critic/

Umm Musk :)

1 comment:

  1. We gonna miss these days when children's will grown up. Keep enjoying.

    Check: quotes about trusting GOD

    ReplyDelete