Wednesday 1 May 2013

Crisp, clean, clothing {New Mums - Tips}

Asalamalaikum sisters, inshallah you are reading this in the best of health and iman. May Allah fill our lives with peace, tranquillity and cleanliness.

In the days when I was not yet married one of the things I took for granted was clean, crisp perfectly ironed clothing. Today with three toddlers it is something I treasure.







There was a time where I would easily take out nice outfits straight from the wardrobe with just one finger. Garments on hangers set in the same direction. Garments that would have not a wrinkle – not even at the back. Stains were something that would cause the garment to be dismissed to charity drives or younger siblings. Pee or poo from a friend or cousin’s baby would mean the garment went into the bin – or the local nuclear disposal plant. My clothes would be clean enough to pray in and dare I say - to eat on.

Today I feel like I have six arms: one holds a bottle of stain remover, one holds a knife for removing goops of gloopy baby food, another holds washing liquid, the fourth holds hospital grade disinfectant, in another is attached a permanent stick on iron and the last holds my confused little mind. How do babies make so much mess? Subhanallah.
When I first became a mum I was so overwhelmed and ashamed at myself, stains and marks and wrinkled clothes were one of the first things I noticed that had changed about me once I became a mother. I wanted to be one of those super eco mums who didn’t use chemical and who bought cotton terry towelled cloth nappies. Instead there I was struggling to find the energy to walk to the laundry. Hubby and I were just out of our teens so we couldn’t afford to go eco much to my disappointment.

It was only until I met up with an old friend who had recently become a new mum that I finally learnt to I forgive myself. Her baby was crawling all over her at the local youth centre and she had little white marks all over her hijab and jilbaab. I said to myself it’s ok. It’s not me, it’s the situation I’m in. I’m not a grub. Being a mum is grubby business. I also learnt I had severe vitamin D deficiency. I also realised I was not making dua for Allah to help me.

Alhamdulilah three babies on, with Allah’s help, vitamin D tablets, multivitamins, more food, more energy, more fat (which I have learnt to love and will inshallah tackle once I finish breastfeeding inshallah) and more faith in my abilities I am wearing a clean, crisp matching outfit right now as I write. It takes time dear sisters and alot of dua. It’s not easy being a mother.

A few tips from me – a struggling juggling muslim mum.

Baby tips:

1.       Try to be quick. Clean up messes immediately – especially vomit, pees and poo stains. A stitch in time saves nine.
2.       Spray disinfectant at areas of najiz if you are in a hurry (products like: Dettol Glen 20 Spray)
3.       Put in a load of washing everyday and go out to hang the clothes – some fresh air will make a big difference to your health and the load will be kept under control
4.       If you can afford it, buy as many extra clothes as possible
5.       Keep a bottle of stain remover and spot clean as soon as you can
6.       Use bibs and coveralls to protect clothes, protect your own clothes will napkins in your lap
7.       Keep a box of old clothes for use at home and a box of perfect clean clothes separate to wear when outside (for you and for baby).
8.        Make the intention to be clean for the sake of Allah and not for the sake of people. Have a look at some leading Islamic speakers on the internet and see how well and clean they are dressed for inspiration. See what a big difference it makes on their lectures if their clothes are neat and clean. Some good examples are habib umar and the kids from hizb ut tahrir – they are dressed impeccably.





May Allah help all of us in our mothering adventures. Ameen.

Umm Musk :)




1 comment: