Thursday 23 May 2013

Niqab in my Hand

In my hand I hold piece of black chiffon
I think perhaps today I'll try this on
I grab the sides made of soft lace
I lift my niqab gently to my face
I secured it safely there and raise my eyes to see
The most beautiful image looking back at me

I am instantly shy at the gracious scene
I look like a sheikha so pure and clean
In my heart I feel something peaceful and serene
I turn my face sideways admiring my reflection
I take it briefly off out of fear of deception

A deception of Islamicness
Epitomised in this type of dress
Am I worth this image I ask my heart
Will I be able to play this noble part
Of representing piety as an art

Will I uphold this dignified symbol
I don't want my resolve to crumble

I put it back on and safe I feel
The experience is so surreal
It's a moment of change
I feel so joyfully strange
But for the world this I will not exchange

I am a new woman now
I'll crush my fears I take vow
I know this fabric will make me strong
I know this decision can not be wrong
The path of my mothers I want to walk along
With the believers I want to wholeheartedly belong

I want my lord to accept this sacrifice
Difference of opinion is really nice
But I want to make a safe choice
I want to learn living relying on my intellect alone
I don't want to be everyone else's clone
I'm finally no longer sipping at dunya's stream
I seek to focus on that eternal dream

This piece of cloth keeps me afloat
As waves capsize me off iman's boat
It's something that pulls me up as I drown
I'm no longer moulded flesh or skin brown
I am a sprit and that's what I now treasure
Erased is fleeting materialistic pleasure
I pray that on the day when our deeds Allah will measure
We will be rewarded in an abundance of ajr
For a life that tread through the earth with sabr

Inshallah....


Umm Musk

No comments:

Post a Comment